Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Public Opinion of Furries actually improving???  (Read 200 times)

Ashton Durkhun

• Is Easily Confused
  • Rawr!
  • KewtKittieKarma: 23
  • THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK
Is Public Opinion of Furries actually improving???
« on: March 25, 2019, 06:56 PM »

As I said in another post, I've been watching a lot of furry and furry-related content as of late. One of these was an interesting series called "Furries in the Media", which, as you can all probably guess, has the channel host commenting on various times the media has attempted to portray furries. I've not finished watching all of it, but from what I've seen, there seems to have been a HUGE improvement in what media has to say about us (with the exception that they all have a hard time keeping Furries and Therians straight...)

And yes, I know, a lot of what's said is Cringy (possibly on purpose, after all it is a news series and from what I've seen cringe seems to be a way to bring in viewers when you're morally bankrupt and also out of shock, fearmongering or dangerously cute content) and there Is still some negative portrayals (though to be fair, two of them were meant to be comedy - one of those possibly being self-aware humor and poking fun at the sillier sides of the fandom- and a couple are really old)  Most of the content though, even from traditional 'shock value' creators like MTV or even (it pains me to say) FOX News, have the journalist really try to take a positive approach and talk to the people (like a REAL interview! *gsap*) and even try out fursuiting to one extent or another.

Though two special mentions should be made.

First, one of the most glowing reviews came from a station in Pittsburgh. Specifically covering Anthrocon.  let that sink in a moment... This is a station in a town who has profited over 40 Million dollars from furries, AND is the home turf of one of the most vocal Anti-anti-furry advocates in the fandom, Unkle Kage (aka Samuel Conway) so... to be 100% fair to the station, I honestly dont think even if they DID want to write a "look at the freaks!" piece, that their career/s would have continued at that station. So, I kinda feel like despite it being another proverbial checkmark in the "furries are not bad!" column, it's kinda heavily biased and colored before it was ever conceived.

Secondly, and this one stunned me. was NCIS - a show by the same parent companies that largely brought the blight of "furries are sick sexual deviants" on us years ago with "CSI:" seems to have learned its lesson and this time around made it feel a lot more like its just part of "geek culture" because it's mentioned in-passing when two characters are talking about such things as Anime, Ren Faires, and lederhosen... O_o ??? it was used more for the excuse to make slightly-witty jokes than for shock value. So, yeah, they actually learned their lesson... that alienating a group as large as furries is going to come back to punch you in the wallet (and ratings).  I mean given the companies involved and some of their other work, clearly this had nothing to do with persecuting sub-cultures, its just they made the mistake of coming after one big enough to fight back.

Random Episode because I cant seem to find the playlist link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BWhcqh-0tw

So.. what are y'all thoughts on this? Are we finally starting to become more accepted by the hoomans? Or is this just a small reprieve before the onslaughts start again?

Kata'lina

• SilverTail Den Mother
  • Administrator
  • Here to stay
  • KewtKittieKarma: 309
  • Obey the Kewt. All hail teh floof!
    • Furrie Haven
Re: Is Public Opinion of Furries actually improving???
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 11:27 AM »

Well, as we all know, people by thier very nature want the juicy gossip, andto point and laugh at what they think is different, and Many of them secretly are into, or wish they were into these sort of things.

Furries, as a whole, is a wonderful sub-culture. Because of this fandom, i've met some of the most awesom people, the loves of my life, openess, acceptance, it's given me purpose, it's opened my creativness and confidence. I make jewlery, I make art, I write poems, I have a youtube channel with almost 100 videos.
I have a discord, twitter, and so on. 90% of my friends are furries.

Because of this fandom, I can smile. They helped me get my smile! Because of this fandom, i'm not so ashamed of myself. I've travled all over this country, and soon-ish will be traveling outside of it.

So what is my point? My point is, the media will Always give what the people want. And what they want is things that makes them feel better about themselves. That's why its usually trash.

But...with so many wonderful people in the fandom, doing such Amazing things...charities, and ways to help others and just a plethra of things...the media can't help but notice That as well.

And, we are using our voices, we are being heard in all the right ways.

Are there still cringe worthy things? Yes, and there always will be sadly. We are...whether we like it or not...humans.

But i feel as long as we do what is right, and just keep being us. then...well I think that's just it.

also i JUST woke up and my thoughts are not all there. Well..they are, i just cannot formulate them.
I exist to think of things that you didn't think has been thought of yet.

Check out da Kitty Artz

I'm his mew, and he's my rawr.
Love is work, it's not all flowers cotton candy and bondage
>^.ָ.^<

Ashton Durkhun

• Is Easily Confused
  • Rawr!
  • KewtKittieKarma: 23
  • THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 01:49 PM »

Well, as we all know, people by thier very nature want the juicy gossip, andto point and laugh at what they think is different, and Many of them secretly are into, or wish they were into these sort of things.

-snip-

Relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHimia_Fxzs
Yes, that song is from 1982 and still oh so very relevant. (and to be fair, this goes back as far as human history with known records as far back as ancient Greece and speculation that even some old-testament bible verses are alluding to proverbial Dirty Laundry of rulers of the era)

But still all very valid points. I was also shocked when (for completely unrelated reasons) I was browsing Urban Dictionary and under "Furry" I scrolled through no less than FIVE definitions and ALL of them were positive and made it clear furries are NOT all sex-crazed perverts --- one of the last places I was expecting to find positive press! While we're still miles from the average John/Jane Doe knowing the truth (and a lot of them not even knowing WHAT we are, for better or worse) I think we're finally making progress again!

and side-note, your thoughts were perfectly clear, kat, nothing like the rambling mess I tend to post when I first wake up x_x

The Pitiful Writer

• Gamesmaster.
  • Administrator
  • Here to stay
  • KewtKittieKarma: 174
  • Thoughts and Ideas, all swirling through my head
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 07:23 PM »

Y'know I've been part of this fandom for like, 12 years now. I still haven't ever really expressed it outside of the online world. Nor do I really have a need to. It's more of a respite than a lifestyle for me.
The one and only T.P.Writer.
Deity of the True Fifth Element,
Renouncer of Sanity,
And all other titles that comes with.
Pages: [1]   Go Up