Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone have some tips for guitar playing?  (Read 418 times)

NatilDragon

Anyone have some tips for guitar playing?
« on: April 08, 2017, 10:24 AM »

Recently my love for rock/metal/punk has lead me to want to play guitar. Thankfully my dad has allowed me to play his older guitar. So far I have just been able to do random notes, and not very well. So could anybody give me some tips? I will appreciate it!

The Pitiful Writer

• Gamesmaster.
  • Administrator
  • Here to stay
  • KewtKittieKarma: 173
  • Thoughts and Ideas, all swirling through my head
Re: Anyone have some tips for guitar playing?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 09:51 AM »

Do you want to play improvisation, do your own stuff, play your favourite songs?

What do you want to do with the guitar playing?

Either way I'd recommend getting down a couple of chords. I personally started with the chords D and A7, which let me play dozens of easy songs like Tom Dooley, etc. Nice boost for beginners.

You don't HAVE to know much music theory to play guitar, but if you want to play with improvisation, it wouldn't hurt. For the most part I'd focus on getting some chords down though, and if you want to do more solo stuff, maybe take a look at the pentatonic scale, or "Blues scale". 

Most importantly, there is thousands of videos on youtube, and guides online for beginners. That's mostly how I learned to play the Banjo.

And finally, don't expect to be great. Not at first. Keep practicing despite this, and you'll get better.

P.S. Probably ought to make sure that the guitar is tuned. There are sites that play the correct pitch online, and you can tune the guitar after them.
The one and only T.P.Writer.
Deity of the True Fifth Element,
Renouncer of Sanity,
And all other titles that comes with.

NatilDragon

Re: Anyone have some tips for guitar playing?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 10:48 AM »

Thanks for the advice! I am mostly just trying to learn how to play some of my favorite songs, then maybe trying to make my own music. :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up