Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
  • What is Furry? 5 1
Currently:  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What is Furry?  (Read 16363 times)

Lloxie

• The Phasefoxie!
  • Here to stay
  • KewtKittieKarma: 107
  • Arfarfs~!
    • Lloxie's Phase Forest
Re: What is Furry?
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 02:31 PM »

....IF you view such things as corruption, that is... >>;

Admittedly, it doesn't help our public image, but I really don't care. If there's really nothing wrong with sexuality, why do we continue to treat it as a taboo subject? I do wish there was more of a balance, as a lot of the fandom HAS been a bit overwhelmed with it, but I'm happy there's lots of yiffy things out there now.

All I can say is, thank goodness for Fur Affinity.
"When you think about it, we're all different people, all through our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You've got to keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be." ~Matt Smith

XinonHyena

• Sniffing around
  • KewtKittieKarma: 3
  • Hello kitties
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 03:39 PM »

As it does all of us.

Anything inherently pure and good is a blank canvas ripe for corruption and distortion, especially when it involves many people with varying interests and morals.  I would have a hard time finding a case where this is not true.

You are right and I agree.

I think that a big problem with our fandom is that it has no direct and general reference to something (outside furry animals, but as greywolf stated: the human's respect of animals has grown poor over time), and I think that is where the negativity comes from.

Otaku for example have hentai and yaoi and all that stuff, but since their fandom is directly based on existing japanese cartoons, people think of Hentai and yaoi as a parody.
(Sure, there are cartoons with anthropomorphic animals, but they are usually not as popular as anime and thereby go unnoticed.)

If you think about Gothic you think about Rock/metal, horror movies and people dressed in black. But there sure are quite a few members of that pop-culture who favor Necrophillia and burning things down and stuff. But since people relate to Gothic by the music and the clothing, they forget to look at the bad side.

I could go on for hours, because every pop-cult known to man has it's bad sides and good sides. But since a lot of those cultures have a common link to something like: music or clothing, they forget the sexual side. Which most of pop-cultures (if not all) do have.
For Khaz Mudun!!!!!!!!!!

CampSoup1988

• Padding around softly
  • KewtKittieKarma: 31
  • Everyone is Krazy...To some Extent!
    • CampSoup1988's DeviantArt
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 05:15 PM »

I'm glad you like. Honestly, I've been thinking about updating this thing for a while, now that I've been to a couple cons, and been an official fur for a while and gotten a deeper sense of the social side of things. Need to go into the conditions in the late 60s/early 70s regarding attitudes about animals and nature, spirituality, morphism and freedom of expression and sexuality which led up to furrydom too. I feel that's important because it gives grounding to the various established aspects of furrydom, and provides a bridge between ancient nature-based cultures and spiritualities and attitudes about morphism, and modern furrydom.

It's possible I did get too deep into the evolution-inherited memory thing, but I was basically attempting to cover every possible angle as to why a person may identify deeply with animals, and point out the kinship all humans share with animals.

One thing I could plug in about the 70's which probably have some influence on the development of the fandom is all the hallucinogenic drugs of the time.

The primary reason the evolution/inherited memory section was too deep for me was that I was reading it approx 2am my time.
No Comments...Wait, That's a Comment!

Everyone is Krazy...To some Extent!

greybrother

• Here to stay
  • KewtKittieKarma: 81
  • It settles at the bottom, unless you shake it up.
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2008, 11:01 PM »

One thing I could plug in about the 70's which probably have some influence on the development of the fandom is all the hallucinogenic drugs of the time.

That's true too. Those drugs were once used in spiritual ceremonies by many ancient, nature-based cultures. There was no sense of corruption because they saw the merits of these drugs and respected them, and in the 60s, some people began to revisit these ideas regarding drugs and other things including sex for the very same reasons, but the mainstream culture saw it as a corruption, which for the most part, it gradually became, due largely to their own fearful influence.

CampSoup1988

• Padding around softly
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2008, 12:01 AM »

That's true too. Those drugs were once used in spiritual ceremonies by many ancient, nature-based cultures. There was no sense of corruption because they saw the merits of these drugs and respected them, and in the 60s, some people began to revisit these ideas regarding drugs and other things including sex for the very same reasons, but the mainstream culture saw it as a corruption, which for the most part, it gradually became, due largely to their own fearful influence.

Also originally, it was used in controlled moderation whereas in in the 60's and 70's they went ramped and new more extreme versions of the drugs where devloped

greybrother

• Here to stay
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2008, 02:55 AM »

Yes. It is a synergetic process. Some people will take anything to an excess, then others will see excess in everything and condemn it. So take free love. It was beautiful and had it's truth, but mainstream society saw it as a debauched excess. Perhaps to some who practiced free love it already was an excess, perhaps meaning 'love for free', rather than 'love unfettered'. Those excessive examples in free love provided mainstream society with ammunition to paint free love as the debauchery they saw it as from the start, causing some to rebel against that depiction by cleaving to the concept of free love further, and some to play at free love as a debauched excess in order to squick those who had a problem with it.

Amidst this environment, some heard of free love and came for the debauched excess they'd heard about, rather than for the freedom of love, pushing the perception of free love-as-excess further, giving the mainstream more ammunition for condemnation, and so on. It's how many beautiful things have been corrupted and destroyed.

Free love in the 60s was degenerated into hedonistic casual sex in the 70s, which was blamed for AIDS in the 80s. To condemn any particular aspect of furrydom outright is to allow the same to occur. Casual sex hasn't gone away, nor have those who would condemn all of us for daring to express our sexuality in any way outside the confines of heterosexual marriage. It should be obvious that extremist, immovable views simply do not work, but as yet we haven't learned this.

Roo Fursworth

• I am a PC and a furry engineer
  • Here to stay
  • KewtKittieKarma: 144
  • Out in the big'ol world naio
    • My Furaffinity Page
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2008, 05:24 AM »

....IF you view such things as corruption, that is... >>;

Admittedly, it doesn't help our public image, but I really don't care. If there's really nothing wrong with sexuality, why do we continue to treat it as a taboo subject? I do wish there was more of a balance, as a lot of the fandom HAS been a bit overwhelmed with it, but I'm happy there's lots of yiffy things out there now.

All I can say is, thank goodness for Fur Affinity.

yes the yiff is a big part of the fandom i will admit, but this part is getting bigger.. meh.. perhaps im old fashioned?

Lloxie

• The Phasefoxie!
  • Here to stay
  • Arfarfs~!
    • Lloxie's Phase Forest
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2008, 11:05 AM »

Like I said, it does need to be balanced... but rather than getting angry at those responsible for the growing yiffy part of the fandom, maybe more people should try and make the other parts grow too. =P

Like try to resurrect true, good, not-necessarily-yiffy roleplaying things. Bring things like Furcadia back to their former glory, and all those MUCKs I used to hear a lot about. Get more people involved in group art projects or story projects, etc. If ya have a problem with one part of the fandom growing so much bigger than the rest, do something to grow a part ya like! =3
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 11:08 AM by Lloxie »
"When you think about it, we're all different people, all through our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You've got to keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be." ~Matt Smith

CampSoup1988

• Padding around softly
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2008, 10:28 PM »

Like try to resurrect true, good, not-necessarily-yiffy roleplaying things. Bring things like Furcadia back to their former glory, and all those MUCKs I used to hear a lot about. Get more people involved in group art projects or story projects, etc. If ya have a problem with one part of the fandom growing so much bigger than the rest, do something to grow a part ya like! =3

Well I think Furcadia has fallen to far to the 'Dark Side' (even though I could never find any of it when I used to play it a bit).  The next closest programs would be Second Life (which the fandom is already being corrupted and under attack by furry hating Griefers) or IMVU.  I dont think there will be much of a chance for MUCKs to be revived since most people will only play games with high graphic quality these days.  I tried joining FurryMUCK, but they require you to give them either a email address from a private or education server (such as email@college.edu or email@APlussHardware.com) to register, they will not take aol, hotmail, gmail, yahoo, bellsouth (which I dont think you could get a free email address from) or any other email server that you could join online, even a paid email address from any email server you could join online, like the ones mentioned above.

Shadowe

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2008, 11:09 PM »

Quote from: Roo
...perhaps im old fashioned?...

Nah. You are just getting older Roo.

Lloxie

• The Phasefoxie!
  • Here to stay
  • Arfarfs~!
    • Lloxie's Phase Forest
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2008, 11:30 PM »

Well I think Furcadia has fallen to far to the 'Dark Side' (even though I could never find any of it when I used to play it a bit). 

Well don't complain if you're not willing to try and change it >>

The next closest programs would be Second Life (which the fandom is already being corrupted and under attack by furry hating Griefers) or IMVU. 

I wish there was a specifically furry-oriented thing like Second Life... heh, maybe one day I'll make a small one myself for just furs I know... that'd be cool. <^^>

I dont think there will be much of a chance for MUCKs to be revived since most people will only play games with high graphic quality these days.  I tried joining FurryMUCK, but they require you to give them either a email address from a private or education server (such as email@college.edu or email@APlussHardware.com) to register, they will not take aol, hotmail, gmail, yahoo, bellsouth (which I dont think you could get a free email address from) or any other email server that you could join online, even a paid email address from any email server you could join online, like the ones mentioned above.

Yeah that never made much sense to me. Just downright irritating. >< I think the IDEA of MUCKs could be revived though. If there's enough interest, willpower, and patience, you could set it up if you wanted to bad enough.

CampSoup1988

• Padding around softly
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2008, 02:32 AM »

I wish there was a specifically furry-oriented thing like Second Life... heh, maybe one day I'll make a small one myself for just furs I know... that'd be cool. <^^>

Let me know if you need a programer, I could help with making the program (I think, Sec Life is a quite a complex program, and I think you would need a full team of professional programmers with a good size budget to rival Sec Life)

greybrother

• Here to stay
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2008, 02:39 AM »

We're totally getting off topic in here..

CampSoup1988

• Padding around softly
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2008, 02:06 PM »

We're totally getting off topic in here..

Sorry.  Nya!

Roo Fursworth

• Here to stay
    • My Furaffinity Page
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2008, 02:57 PM »

Nah. You are just getting older Roo.

oh noes! xD make it stop!

Lloxie

• The Phasefoxie!
  • Here to stay
  • Arfarfs~!
    • Lloxie's Phase Forest
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2008, 03:14 PM »

Let me know if you need a programer, I could help with making the program (I think, Sec Life is a quite a complex program, and I think you would need a full team of professional programmers with a good size budget to rival Sec Life)

*chuckles* Oh I wasn't making specific plans... just a pipe dream for a long way down the road, is all. xP Although perhaps in the next couples years I'll try something more like Furcadia... no 3D graphics stuff to worry about then ^^; But even then just something small for furs I know. Maybe even an FH-exclusive program. x3

Roo Fursworth

• Here to stay
    • My Furaffinity Page
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2008, 05:27 PM »

Furcadia slipped into 99% yiff before even i joined the fandom.

i do enjoy the yiff side of it and i'd be lying if i said otherwise.. but as with RL, not everything comes down to sex ya know o.o

you dont go visit your friends to fuck them do you?.. no, you go to hang out and have a good time! why does it have to be diffeent just because you're furry?
do trekkies meet up just to have sex? how about fans of.. i dunno.. tupperware? o.O no.. they meet because they have a comman intrest!

greybrother

• Here to stay
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2008, 07:22 PM »

I'll explain the reasons in PM if you like, I've already talked about them elsewhere, but I'd like to gently remind you that this particular thread isn't the place to decry any specific element of furrydom. I consider this thread as one of my major contibutions to FurrieHaven.

عبء الحزن

• I am imprisoned by my regret.
  • Here to stay
  • KewtKittieKarma: 210
  • You should flee before it claims you as well...
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2008, 03:23 AM »

Hey Furcadia used to be good. Key phrase being "used to be." I met some of my best online friends there. ((though gone now.)) But you are right, it did turn pretty yiff oriented only. I was on it years ago with my friend. And I never once yiffed anyone or got yiffed. :3 I did leave though when it began to take a turn for the worse. And while I am not against people "yiffing" or whatever, I also want no part of it. :P Just because I extend my hand to shake yours does not mean I want to stick it down your pants too. :P I finally left after being berated/accosted for or about yiff or why I would not yiff. So I left. ^^ Simple as that. Still I imagine there are a lot of good people on there to meet if such a thing is your thing.

But I can say one reason why things should NOT be so sex-centric. STDs. I just have been told tonight by a friend that he was tested positive for HIV. And while I feel very sorry for him, in the end it's his own fault though. I warned him years ago that all his frivolous unprotected acts ((excuse is that condoms are not comfortable)) with every furry he met would end badly. Just never expected it would be a slow death sentence. :/

And all that BS about, "I only have sex with people I trust and am friends with so I know I will never get anything..." well it got him in trouble. Now he won't have a sex life at all. And he is only just now turning 23. What a waste of life. >.< Even worse... he has no real clue who he got HIV from. All he really knows is it was a furry, cause that is all he will have anything with. :/ And that is a bit frightening... means there is some furry out there going to furcons and having sex with people and he has HIV, passing it on to others. Either that or he knows and don't want to say.

And can you get HIV in as little as little as 5 months? Cause he had sex with people at AC this year back in June. :S Stuff like this really makes me feel... bad. >.<

And no I am not speaking bad of furries. :P Furries that do not control themselves and their hormones/urges/desire/whatever... I am, yes. :P

And no I am not being anti-furry. It just frightens me to think of who might do what, and give something awful to another cause of it. >.< And this same guy is one of the ones that told me "this is what furries do." Well... I can safely say I am glad I don't fit in with the majority then. :3

Sorry for my... whatever that is... I sorta started talking of Furcadia then got told that in IM, and went off on a... something... Think I am just a bit freaked out about it. Never have I known someone to actually have HIV. Heard about it before like most, but its a bit sobering when someone you know sends you an IM saying he caught it from someone. >.<

So sorry Grey for sorta barfing a big freakout into your topic. I think it's still a bit on topic though. Sorta. Yeah. ^^ So, please do not think I am being against furries.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 03:56 AM by Angelus »
It was compassion and hope that released this curse. Only cruelty and loss will end it.

Joylessly a new dawn is welcomed....

greybrother

• Here to stay
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2008, 03:46 AM »

That's fine. This should maybe be it's own topic though. I agree that frivolous, irresponsible sex is stupid and dangerous, but I won't interchange that with "yiff" and I agree that furs who do that are missing the point.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up